WINTERTON ON SEA LIFEBOAT RESTORATION GROUP
REGISTERED CHARITY NO. 1173040
If you have any additional information – please get in touch
1st Jan 1925
When taken out of service, she was sold as sound and fit for conversion and further use and was bought by Major R W “Capt” Sparrow of Garthmaelon Hall, Dolgellau who had the boat converted and sailed her at Falmouth. In 1951 she was surveyed by W J Noble of Falmouth and described as an auxiliary cruiser called “Mirosa”.
18th Aug 1957
Sold to J E Hamlin for £600 and the 1965 edition of Lloyds Register No. 6148 describes the boat as an Auxiliary Sloop of sail area 400 sq. ft, remaining at Falmouth.
In 1973 Paul Dunbar, Naval Surveyor, bought and lived on the boat with his wife until 1987 carrying out restoration work at Landrake boatyard in the River Tamar, a few miles upstream from Plymouth. She had a bowsprit and gaff cutter rig, the mast still in its original position and weighing 13 tons as opposed to 12 tons in 1965. This extra ton seems to arise from the decking over the stern cockpit, the gaff, bowsprit, an oak drop-leaf table and the cast iron cooker in the saloon, none of which had been mentioned previously.
In1987 she was for sale as a gaff topsail cutter and purchased by Gordon and Lynn Brown who sailed her from Plymouth to Conwy Harbour in North Wales through the 1987 gales, ironically having to be rescued themselves by the St Davids Lifeboat. A party was held on board on 6th November 1996 to celebrate her 100th birthday.
Following the death of Gordon Brown she was sold to Martin and Wendy Monk who kept her at Conwy until 2003 when they sold her on to Peter Todd.
At some point after this she was sadly abandoned and started to deteriorate and was even occupied by “squatters” taking shelter in the hull.